Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Uptown Dallas - Urban Living Texas Style

I thought I would write a few posts on some of my favorite areas in Dallas.  My hope is that if you are not from the area that these posts will help you identify possible areas that might suit your personality as well as home needs.

I lived in Uptown Dallas for three years when I first moved to Dallas.  I LOVED IT!  I was a newlywed who had moved from South Carolina to New York and wound up in Dallas a year afterwards.  I knew nothing about the city I was moving to and I was pretty sure Dallas...like I presumed the rest of Texas...was full of cowboy hats and spurs.  How wrong was I?  I think Dallas, in particular, Uptown Dallas is currently one of the best kept secrets in the world (yes friends from Oak Cliff, M Streets, HP and UP your posts are coming).  It is a fantastic urban area stashed in the middle of the country with a low cost of living.  You can find apartments, condos, town homes... and even a few houses if you are lucky.  It is also an area where you can find great bars, restaurants, a few clubs and people who like to be a part of the scene.  The best part though...is that you can actually WALK to them!  These great places are just outside your doorstep...and are closer than any grocery store.  Hey, isn't the fridge just for left overs anyway?
The Dallas Trolley.  A nice ride if your feet need a break...and...it's FREE!


The Katy Trail 
In 1997, a coalition of community members and city leaders banded together to preserve the greenbelt along which the former Missouri-Kansas-Texas (MKT or “Katy”) Railroad traveled through Dallas. They envisioned an urban park featuring a pedestrian and bicycle path set among 30 acres of nature in the densest part of the city. Their plan will eventually become a key link in Dallas’ plan to connect White Rock Lake to the Trinity River.  The Katy Trail extends 3.5 miles from Airline Road to the American Airlines Center. Once completed, the bike and pedestrian path will link the Mockingbird DART station near SMU to the West End in downtown Dallas. It will feature a 12-foot-wide concrete bike trail and an 8-foot-wide parallel, soft-surface running path, with several entrances and plazas linking the Trail to other area parks.



Magnolia Theater - Want to watch a new release with a cocktail in hand?  This is the place to go!

A great bar for nice weather!  Excellent patio...and if it is a bit chilly they have outdoor heaters

gman

The Ginger Man - A great afternoon watering hole!  As laid back as Uptown gets!


Nick and Sam's - Best Steak in Dallas and it's in Uptown!  Bar scene is very much a scene and somewhere you could have found the Rat Pack hanging out back in the day.


These are just a few of my favorites!  Would love to hear about your Uptown Favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment