Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Why Getting to Home Sweet Home?

A friend asked me the other day why I titled my blog Getting to Home Sweet Home.  The answer is twofold.  A few years ago I had the opportunity to take the Berkman Personality Test through the Junior League of Dallas.

At that point I had been working for PricewaterhouseCoopers a little over 4 years.  I enjoyed the people I worked with, but my career path didn't really suit me.  I wasn't excited about what I was doing, but I wasn't sure how to change it.  I knew I wanted to make a difference in peoples lives.  I also knew that working full time for a non-profit wasn't an option for me.  I love volunteering, but I have a bad habit of getting emotionally attached.  I would never go home.  Therefore, I continued with my job and volunteered my time with a few great places whenever I could.

After taking the personality test my previous thoughts were confirmed.  Did I have the head for numbers?  Yes!  Did I have the heart for numbers?  Numbers don't even have hearts!  Heck no I didn't have the heart for numbers!  Why on earth would you "heart" something that could never "heart" you back?



During this year of soul searching Stephen and I also began looking for our first home.  We had been in an apartment for 3 years and finally decided that we wanted to call Dallas home.  The best way to do that was to lay down some permanent roots.  It was during this time that I discovered I really liked real estate.  At the time we were not using a REALTOR® and I was doing most of the home searching myself while still holding down a full time job.  Talk about work?  It wasn't until the end of the process that I finally gave in and found a REALTOR®.  I immediately understood the value a full time agent brings to the table.  She knew her stuff and was one of the best in the business.  

I sat down and told her of my new love of real estate, my passion for helping people, and the desire to find a career that fit.  She told me that if I was serious about the change she would support me 100%.  She cautioned me that I would work harder than I ever had and that it had to be my full time career.  So, I took the plunge!

During that time I learned a lot about myself.  Stephen and I found our home sweet home and I found a career that feels like home.  Thus, the name of my blog and my motto... helping my clients get to home sweet home!  

No comments:

Post a Comment