Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Today....is a GREAT DAY!

As you know, a few weeks back I wrote an article on Protesting Your Property Taxes.  Because of this article I had the opportunity to help many of you determine the market value of your home and whether it was worth protesting or not.  No charge to you of course!  As stated in a previous article, I consider helping protest property taxes a public service that I owe you!  Not the other way around!

Several of you were "lucky" enough not to have to protest...meaning your property value actually did go up.  Perhaps not so great for you to have to pay higher taxes, but property value increasing is a good thing in many ways in that it shows recovery in the market place (HURRAY)!

Some of you were "lucky" enough that your property had not gone up in value as the Dallas County Appraisal District stated and your property taxes will remain low until the next evaluation period in which we hope...most properties will have recovered by then.

This morning I received the sweetest call from one of the folks I was able to help.  A sweet man called our office a few weeks back asking for help in regards to protesting his taxes.  He is 82 years old and lives in Preston Hollow.  He already had the 65 and up deduction applied to his property taxes and the Appraisal District was still trying to increase his taxes by increasing his property value.  The number they through out was just so over the top I couldn't believe it.  So, I ran the numbers a few times to make sure that I wasn't nuts.  Then called him back and gave him the news that I thought he could get somewhere between a $40,000 and $50,000 property tax reduction.  I put the information together and put it in the mail...not thinking much of it after that.

That sweet man called me this morning and told me that with my help he was able to reduce his property value by $43,000!  This made my day!!!!  This is why I am in Real Estate - it gives me a great opportunity to serve great people!

Do you have a great property tax protest story to share?  Would love to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment